As software transforms industry after industry, it's becoming apparent that the world is transitioning to a software driven paradigm that won't be denied.
Manufacturing, entertainment, journalism, music ... they are just a few of the business domains that have been dramatically altered by the power of software.
Software often gives an order of magnitude or two advantage to the new businesses that fully leverage its capabilities.
Some of the effects on society are profound:
- Radical lowering of costs.
- Shifting of the demands of labor from the physical to the intellectual.
- Increasing the rate of change.
What are some takeaways for businesses large and small?
- Embrace the change ... don't fight it.
- Try to get ahead of the curve instead of playing catch-up.
- Develop an understanding of the latest new technologies, which are, today, things like smartphones, cloud computing and tablet computing.
- Don't rely on yesterday's technology to carry the day. Witness the speed with which tablet computing is replacing PCs.
- Give some of the latest technologies a try. Test them. See what they can do for you.